Our software teams are pivotal to our success. They develop the tools to support our hazard mapping and catastrophe modelling activities. They’re the backbone of our business. We believe strongly in continuous improvement of our processes and datasets and our software teams help make this happen.
The software we create must handle large data sets and deliver consistent, transparent results with optimal performance. We’re currently building a system that automates our core mapping processes. The platform interfaces with our in-house databases and will provide web-based front ends for use by internal and external clients.
We are looking for a highly-motivated software developer with experience and ideas to support our business development and growth.
Our current core technologies include Python, C#, C++, and PostgreSQL/PostGIS, but your exact skillset matters less to us than your ability to assess a problem and determine what you need to learn to get the job done.
As part of your application, you’ll need to submit a small test program developed to our specifications.
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
• A background in software development for GIS or other scientific applications
• An interest in data science and Big Data technologies
• Experience with Python, or other modern programming languages such as C++, Java, or C#
• Experience working with databases
• An appreciation of robust and modern commercial development practices
The following are essential attributes:
• A professional approach
• An enthusiasm to learn and adapt quickly
• Strong technical and data analysis skills
• The ability to work independently or as part of a team
• The ability to understand and communicate technical concepts
A candidate with some of the following skills would have an advantage:
• GIS and spatial processing libraries such as ArcPy or GDAL
• Statistical programming with R, or NumPy and Pandas
• Image processing and analysis
• Linux / unix; shell or DOS scripting
• GPU computing technologies
The job will be based in the UK in our Skipton (North Yorkshire) office at the Broughton Hall Estate. It is a scenic rural location on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales, so this role would particularly suit somebody looking for a relaxed lifestyle in a beautiful environment. Skipton and the surrounding areas also offer several excellent schools, making the location ideal for families.
Salary and Benefits
A competitive salary is available depending on experience, together with a comprehensive benefits package including pension scheme, life insurance, medical assistance scheme, subsidised income protection and childcare vouchers. The JBA Group is an employee-owned company and staff qualify for profit share after a minimum length of service.
The post-holder will be entitled to a minimum of 20 days of holiday per year (pro-rated to working hours) rising to 25 days after five years’ qualifying service, plus statutory holidays.
The JBA Group is committed to ensuring that all staff can work to their full potential. We have in place a structured training and development plan and every member of staff has an Individual Training Plan and a training budget.
Further information and applications
For further information or an informal discussion about this position please contact Andrew Walkden on +44 (0) 1756 799919.
Applications forms must be downloaded from our website and returned along with your CV and a covering letter.