JBA Risk Management offers pioneering flood mapping for every country in the world utilising sophisticated hydrology and hydraulic approaches. Our team is a collaboration of scientists and engineers who are passionate about understanding and managing flood risk.
We're looking for a numerically and scientifically literate individual to join our team and support the delivery of the highest quality data possible. Initially the role will focus on our map-based products and user testing of software developed by our in-house development teams.
You'll have a numerate first degree and be interested in data. Additionally, you'll have a relevant higher degree or experience in a data-oriented role. You will have some familiarity with spatial data and an understanding of precision, accuracy and correctness. You need not be a software developer, but you will be a competent superuser, unafraid of code. You will have the ability to work with a variety of people with differing knowledge and backgrounds, be flexible in response to changing priorities and not be intimidated by novel concepts.
• Good numerate first degree, higher research degree in a scientific discipline with data analysis component or equivalent experience
• Professional manner with strong interpersonal skills, demonstrable ability to interact with colleagues over a wide range of seniority and knowledge
• Demonstrable ability to understand and communicate technical concepts in person and in writing
• Strong organisational and time management abilities
• Ability to distinguish important from unimportant details and work in a focussed manner on those details that matter
• Evidence of a strong commitment to personal development
• A demonstrable interest in Earth/environmental science
• Some experience with GIS platforms (e.g. QGIS, ArcMap)
• Experience of teamwork/collaborative environments both in person and via collaboration technologies
• Understanding of the computational data processing environment, common file formats, software and systems used
• Experience of Linux command line with shell scripting
• Competent using MS Office suite of tools (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel, OneNote)
• Experience or training in process improvement techniques e.g. Lean
• Coding experience in a high-level language e.g. Python, R, SQL
• Experience using numerical or statistical modelling methods e.g. CFD, Monte Carlo simulation
• An understanding of automation and data science concepts
The role will be based in our Broughton Hall office near Skipton (North Yorkshire). The office is located on the Broughton Hall estate and is surrounded by 3000 acres of parkland, farmland, woodland and moors.
Career Development and Benefits
We value our staff and believe in providing a competitive salary, flexible working conditions and the best benefits package we can.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes pension, life insurance, medical assistance, subsidised income protection, childcare vouchers, professional memberships and profit share.
As an employee-owned organisation, we have no external shareholders to pay, meaning all our staff benefit directly from our profits through our annual profit share scheme.
We’re focused on helping our staff develop their skills and offer a generous training budget to every member of staff. Our well-regarded professional development programme provides the opportunity to enhance and update technical and management skills throughout your career. We encourage and support the attainment of professional qualifications including chartered membership of professional associations.
Further information and application particulars
Application forms can be downloaded from this site. Please describe how you meet the criteria in the relevant section.
If your application is longlisted, you will be emailed a technical test with a 1 week submission deadline
Interviews of shortlisted candidates will take place on: 22/02/2018
For further information or an informal discussion about this position please contact Martin Wolstencroft on +44 (0) 1756 799919 or by email email@example.com
No unsolicited CVs from Agencies.